Today we’re celebrating the contribution that fathers and father figures have made in our lives and if you’re at a loss for any words of wisdom, whether you are the kid or you are the dad, these clips from our films may encourage your efforts. Parental guidance comes in all forms, some are more PG than others. Enjoy the scenes and then tell us which guy is most like your dad/father figure in the poll below.
Happy Father’s Day!
- Muriel's father tracks her down in Sydney, adding to the growing stress of her new life. In this scene: Muriel Heslop (Toni Collette), Bill Heslop (Bill Hunter)
- It's bedtime in the orphanage, and Dr. Larch puts the children to bed with a prayer and his customary sign off. In this scene: Dr. Wilbur Larch (Michael Caine), Homer Wells (Tobey Maguire)
- It's the eve of Giosué's birthday, and as animosity towards Jews continues to mount, it's all Guido can do to keep Giosué blissfully unaware of any problems. In this scene: Guido Orefice (Roberto Benigni), Dora (Nicoletta Braschi), Giosué Orefice (Giorgio Cantarini), Madre di Dora (Marisa Paredes)
- When Willie drives The Kid home, he finds some Christmas cheer of his own. In this scene: Willie (Billy Bob Thornton), The Kid (Brett Kelly)
- Matt expresses his concern about Frank's choices and their potential effect on his future. In this scene: Frank Fowler (Nick Stahl), Henry (Frank T. Wells), Jason Strout (Camden Munson), Matt Fowler (Tom Wilkinson)
- When Frank shows up unexpectedly at Robert's rehearsal, they're both in for a surprise. In this scene: Frank (Robert De Niro), Robert (Sam Rockwell)
- Ollie has a heart-to-heart with baby Gertie and promises to always be there. In this scene: Ollie (Ben Affleck), Bart (George Carlin)
- With a little encouragement, James teaches the boys how to fly a kite. In this scene: James (Johnny Depp), Sylvia (Kate Winslet), Peter (Freddie Highmore), Jack (Joe Prospero), George (Nick Roud), Michael (Luke Spill)
- The Butcher teaches Amsterdam a lifelong lesson. In this scene: The Butcher (Daniel Day-Lewis), Amsterdam (Leonardo DiCaprio), Jenny (Cameron Diaz)
- Catherine's father believes he has finally tapped into the source of the brilliant work he did in his younger years. In this scene: Robert (Anthony Hopkins), Catherine (Gwyneth Paltrow)