Every Friday throughout the summer, we’ll be posting a movie that someone on our staff has picked as their favorite Miramax film. While the summer blockbusters invade the theaters, consider watching one of the staff picks over the weekend instead. Today’s pick is the five time Oscar-nominated film Chocolat from Kellye Carnahan, our Development Coordinator.
As the daughter of a French woman with her own magnificent chocolate recipes, it’s impossible for me to not love CHOCOLAT. When I watch the film, I think back on my own childhood, with my mother’s melodic French accent and the incredible smell of chocolate filling our home as we churned out (literally!) hundreds of truffles at a time (which reminds me, thanks for all those treats growing up, Mom, and can you please make me some for my birthday tomorrow?)
In the film, a gray and rigid French town is forever changed when, dressed in bright red cloaks, a woman and her young daughter arrive and open a chocolate shop in the middle of Lent. At it’s core, this charming fairytale is a story of acceptance and living side by side, regardless of our differences. But let’s be honest– we’re all watching CHOCOLAT for the mouth–watering shots of all the delightful treats in Vianne’s shop, and for the very best Johnny Depp line delivered in any film “I’ll come ’round some time and get that squeak out of your door”.
Here’s a few more clips from each of those films. Enjoy your weekend and Happy Birthday to Kellye!
- On a trip down to the river, Vianne and Anouk make a sordid new acquaintance...and a bold statement. In this scene: Vianne Rocher (Juliette Binoche), Anouk Rocher (Victoire Thivisol), Roux (Johnny Depp), Comte de Reynaud (Alfred Molina)
- Mary tells James about Sylvia's sad past. In this scene: James (Johnny Depp), Mary (Radha Mitchell)
- James's affection for the Davies' family sparks gossip and hurtful rumors. In this scene: James (Johnny Depp), Charles (Dustin Hoffman), Sylvia (Kate Winslet), Peter (Freddie Highmore), Jack (Joe Prospero), George (Nick Roud), Michael (Luke Spill), Mary (Radha Mitchell)
- J.M. Barrie watches from behind-the-scenes as his latest play opens to poor reviews. In this scene: James (Johnny Depp), Usher (Mackenzie Crook)
- James shares a piece of his past with Sylvia. In this scene: James (Johnny Depp), Sylvia (Kate Winslet)