Every Friday throughout the summer, we’ll be posting a movie that someone on our staff has picked as their favorite Miramax film. While the summer blockbusters invade the theaters, consider watching one of the staff picks over the weekend instead. Today’s pick, City of God is from Jo Sherlock, VP of TV Sales in the UK.
The streets of the world’s most notorious slum, Rio de Janeiro’s City of God, are a place where combat photographers fear to tread, police rarely go and residents are lucky if they live to the age of 20. In the midst of the oppressive crime and violence, a frail and scared young boy will grow up to discover that he can view the harsh realities of his surroundings with an artistic eye. In the face of impossible odds, his brave ambition to become a professional photographer becomes a window into his world and ultimately his way out.
City of God captures all the energy, grit, sense of danger, injustice but also the humour of Brazilian favela life, as well as the teenage tipping point between making a decision as whether you choose a successful or unsuccessful path for your future. I have spent a lot of time in Brazil and in these communities and it is very authentic.
- Fleeing from the police, Shaggy seeks shelter, while Clipper finds himself at a crossroads. In the scene: Shaggy (Jonathan Haagensen), Bernice (Roberta Rodrigues), Clipper (Jefechander Suplino), Goose (Renato de Souza)
- Looking back, Rocket describes how he came to the City of God. In the scene: Young Rocket (Buscape Crianca)
- In search of something better, Benny decides to leave the City of God. In the scene: Rocket (Alexandre Rodrigues), Benny (Phellipe Haagensen), Li'l Ze (Leandro Firmino da Hora), Angelica (Alice Braga)
- The Tender Trio are famous in the City of God. In the scene: Young Rocket (Luis Otavio), Young Benny (Michel de Souza), Li'l Dice ( Douglas Silva), Shaggy (Jonathan Haagensen), Clipper (Jefechander Suplino), Goose (Renato de Souza)
- After robbing the hotel, the Tender Trio's getaway comes to a crashing hault. In this scene: Shaggy (Jonathan Haagensen), Clipper (Jefechander Suplino), Goose (Renato de Souza), Shorty (Gero Camilo)
- Shaggy and Bernice attempt to flee the City of God before its too late. In this scene: Shaggy (Jonathan Haagensen), Bernice (Roberta Rodrigues), Shorty (Gero Camilo)